Everyone needs hope in these uncertain times, and Hope for the Young charity are certainly doing their bit to help the most vulnerable.
The ongoing impact of the Coronavirus is affecting people from all walks of life, in particular young people seeking asylum and those with refugee status.
To help support these groups of people, the incredible Hope for the Young foundation has announced that their Covid 19 Emergency Relief scheme will extend to provide a second round of funds! These funds are intended to support the health and wellbeing of young adults between the ages of 16 and 28 who are assessed as vulnerable and in need of urgent support. From helping those suffering financial difficulties because of the pandemic to supporting people experiencing social isolation, the continuation of the Covid 19 Emergency Relief scheme will offer life changing help to many.
Who is Eligible to Receive Funding?
The Covid 19 Emergency fund is open to UK residents aged between 16 and 28 who either have refugee status or are seeking asylum. As funds are extremely limited, priority will be given to young people receiving mentoring support from Hope for the Young who meet the criteria.
Grant payments will be based on each specific case and the maximum grant available for each person is £250.
Depending on your individual circumstances and requirements, you may be able to apply for:
- Regular monthly or weekly payments for food and essential items
- Essential travel to support groups and appointments.
- A basic Smart phone (up to the value of £90) or mobile data to help stay connected with family and friends, mentors, advocates, support workers and counsellors.
Who Cannot Apply?
Hope for the Young are committed to offering financial and mentoring support with the aim of alleviating hardship and removing obstacles to young refugees and asylum-seekers’ education and well-being.
You will not be eligible to apply if:
- You are a family applying on behalf of your children under 16 years old
- You are a young person applying on behalf of your family
- You are a young person on a study visa
- You are an EU. / UK national
- You live outside of the UK
- You are applying on behalf of community projects or organisations
- You are applying on behalf of a group of young people
- You have previously been awarding funding through the Covid 19 Emergency fund (unless in exceptional circumstances).
Before you apply, you should also be aware that the Covid 19 Emergency Relief Fund does not support:
- Purchases of laptops or computers
- Paying bills or subscription-based services
- Paying rent or mortgages
- Home furnishings such as kitchen utensils, cookers, fridges, washing machines, and bedding.
- Paying ack debt to friends and family members
- Essential baby clothing and items
- Sports equipment or clothing.
During the first round of the Covid 19 Emergency Relief Fund, Hope for the Young assessed more than 220 applications for support and awarded grants to the 96 young people across the UK who were deemed the highest risk and most socially isolated.
You can apply for funding by visiting https://hopefortheyoung.org.uk/covid-19-emergency-relief-fund/
Do not forget to keep visiting our blog for all the latest financial help and support available.