How Brexit affects you: foreigners and students

How Brexit affects you: foreigners and students

Let’s have a look at how Brexit affects foreigners and students.

There is no disputing that Brexit affects everyone in the UK. If,  however,  you are one of the 3.8 million non UK citizens living in Great Britain, there are some important changes that you should be aware of.

You will now need to apply to stay here long term.
The good news is that if you are a European Economic Area or Swiss citizen living in Britain, you will not have to leave the UK just because the UK has left the EU. However, you and your family may have to register with the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK after 30 June 2021:
If you are an EU citizen living outside the UK, and you have a family member living in the UK, there are extra rules to consider if you wish to live in the UK. You can find detailed information on these rules here.

How Brexit affects you: foreigners and students

Advice for British students living or studying in the EU

Prior to Brexit, all UK citizens were also classed at EU citizens. This which meant they could live and work anywhere in the European Union, without a visa. Now when traveling as a UK citizen (without having dual passports), you may need a traveling visa or work visa when entering a EU country.
Read further information on visa here.

How Brexit affects you if you currently live abroad as UK national?

If you were a UK national lawfully residing in another EU country on 31 December 2020, you will be able to stay in the country where you live. As of the 1st of January 2021, if you had already been granted legal residency status in an EU country then nothing will change. In other words, you can come and go as you please. You can also stay for as long as you like. However,  this only applies to the specific country in which you have residency.

If you were living in an EU country before 1 January 2021 but do not have legal residency status, then you can apply for it by 30 June 2021. The county in which you live should set up a system for this.  You will need to check directly with the government for your specific instructions.

If you did not live in an EU country before 1 January 2021, you will no longer be able to apply for residency status. For further information, you can visit, and Living In Guides.

Erasmus scheme post Brexit

If you were awarded funding for the Erasmus+ scheme on or before the 31 December 2020 then you will be able to fully participate for the duration of your exchange, even if it runs into 2021.

However, the UK Government has now announced it will no longer be participating in the Erasmus+ scheme. Instead, it will be setting up its own overseas study scheme. This will be named after the computing pioneer, Alan Turing.

The Department of Education has stated that the Turing scheme will offer funding for around 35,000 students. This will allow them to embark on placements around the world from September 2021.  The new scheme will focus on students from disadvantaged backgrounds. However, it has not yet clear how students will be able to apply for it.

We hope you find this post useful. We are committed to providing you with the latest updates, so keep checking back for the further information.

Next article, Tips to build a profitable website

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *